2016 Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival Summary
Thank you all for making the 16th Annual Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival (MMCF) a success!
Save the date for next year! May 13, 2017
Highlights of the 2016 Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival
Designated Charity: Hero Dogs, Inc.
Chief of the Games: Mr. Forrest C. Shields, Chieftain, Clan Scott
Guest of Honor: Mayor Patrick Rockinberg, Mount Airy
Honored Clan: Clan Cameron
Best Clan Tent: Clan Menzies
– Continuous music on three stages (Pub stage, Acoustic Stage and Traditional Stage) and dancing on the fourth.
– Vendors (food and merchandize) increased by 19%
– Almost 40% increase in Clans and Societies participating
– There were no beer lines thanks to the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick as servers!
– Over 100 volunteers including US Marines, Girl Scouts, the Frederick Rugby team, and Silver Oak Academy plus many volunteers from last year
– Kids galore packed the Scot-4-Tots area, climbed the straw mountain, made crafts, had their faces painted, and visited the Keys Players and mascot Keyote.
– NEW!!! Started a recycling program in partnership with Waste Not! Carroll
– Whisky tastings—double the number of last year—98% sold out.
– First ever Kirkin of the Military Tartans
– First annual “Kilts in Action” calendar
– Sponsors increased by 36% and a four-fold increase in Individual Patrons
-MMCF Inaugural Shortbread Competition
– Quilts of Valor® Foundation Raffle of Outlander-Inspired Quilt
-St. Andrew’s Society of Mid-Maryland Raffles
— Outlander-themed Basket with signed copy of Diana Gabaldon’s Written in My Own Heart’s Blood and other goodies.
— “The Tipsy Laird” Pound Cake (Orange whisky cake) by Farmhouse Poundcakes and other goodies.
Best of all—thousands of smiling faces!!!!
Save the Date! May 13, 2017
Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival
(formerly Frederick Celtic Festival)
New name! Same great festival! Same great location!
Mount Airy Fire Department Carnival Grounds
1003 Twin Arch Road,
Mount Airy, MD 21771
Follow us on Facebook for updates!!!
9am- 6pm May 14, 2016!!
You are welcome to bring your own chairs and blankets, but no coolers please!
DOG FRIENDLY! Dogs with well-behaved owners are absolutely welcome at our event! Please have proof of vaccinations.
It’s always a good idea to bring an extra set of car keys to your vehicle, just in case. If inclement conditions are in the forecast, please remember that trees and tents do not make for safe refuge. Here is a link to the National Weather Service’s Severe Weather Safety Preparedness Guide.
See pages 10 -12.
The 2016 Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival is being dedicated to honor and benefit our nation’s Veterans. To that end we have partnered with:
Hero Dogs, Inc. raises and trains service dogs and places them free of charge with our nation’s
Veterans to improve quality of life and restore independence.
And on our Guinness Pub stage celebrating their 3oth Anniversary !
Join us from 9am – 6pm.
FREE PARKING (carpooling suggested)! Parking limited to passenger vehicles. No campers, RVs, or camping allowed.
Children 12 and under receive FREE admission to the Festival and there is no charge for the Children’s Games or other Bairns Tent activities!
Awesome bands, Scottish Dancing, Pipe Bands, Demonstrations, Highland Games with professional and amateur athletes competing!
This cultural heritage event provides our community with the unique opportunity to explore the rich culture and tradition that resulted from the movement of many Irish and Scottish immigrants to the United States.
Whether you are a first time visitor or returning, we welcome you! Our goal is to make your day at the Festival enjoyable!
Ralph Wallace/ Scottish American Military Society